Adoptees Connect Small Group Guidelines
- We are here to support one another not “fix” one another. We are primarily listeners and we aren’t a replacement for therapy, although our group can be therapeutic.
- We should only give advice if asked, otherwise listening is our primary focus.
- Keep our sharing on our own thoughts and feelings based on our own experiences.
- Limit sharing to 3-5 minutes.
- Confidentiality is a basic requirement. What’s shared in the small group stays in the small group. The only exception is if someone threatens to injure themselves or someone else.
- If you happen to wear 2 hats in the adoption equation, (adoptive parent, birth parent AND an adoptee) we ask you wear your adoptee “hat” while sharing in the group.
- There is NO crosstalk. Crosstalk is when two or more individuals engage in conversation excluding all others. Each person is free to express his/her feelings without interruption.